The winter weather can make driving particularly difficult for any driver. When you attempt to navigate the roads in a semi-truck, it’s even more challenging. Slick, icy, or wet roads, coupled with limited visibility, can be a recipe for disaster if you’re not careful. Safety is Middleton & Meads’ top priority. For this reason, we’ve been repairing trucks and buses for tens of decades, ensuring that they are safe enough to take on the road. Here are some safety tips that can help you navigate the highway or winding roads during the winter safely.
What to Bring With You During Winter Driving
- Extra Layerable Clothes
- Bag of Salt
- Rain-Appropriate Gear
- Jumper Cables
- Tire Chains
- Windshield Scrapers
- Windshield Fluid
How to Navigate the Road Safely
- Never Speed – Hydroplaning usually happens when you’re driving too fast. Plus, slowing down means that you’ll have more time to react.
- Grip the Wheel Firmly – Doing so ensures that you have control over your truck. It would help if you also drove with both hands so that you have no issues guiding your vehicle through the ice and snow.
- Never Follow Behind Other Vehicles Too Closely – During wintery and rainy weather, unexpected circumstances happen. For this reason, you want to give yourself more than enough room between other vehicles to stop or maneuver.
- Take Your Time on Bridges – Surfaces such as bridges and overhead passes freeze quicker than residential roads. This fact is even more dangerous if the roads are not salted yet. Use extreme caution. If possible, avoid black ice like the plague. Pay close attention to frost on your truck’s antennas and mirrors.
- Never Slam on Brakes – An ABS braking system is ideal for navigating winter roads. If your vehicle does not have one, lightly pump your brakes when it’s time to decrease your speed.
Never Neglect Pre-Tip Inspections
Pre-trip inspections are vital all-year-long, and you don’t want to neglect to do them during the winter. When you ensure your truck is in the best condition, you’re not only saving your life but the lives of others around you. If your vehicle is not in the best shape, you can count on Middleton & Meads to take care of your trucking safety needs.
MIDDLETON & MEADS IS YOUR ONE STOP SHOP FOR ALL OF YOUR VEHICLE’S NEEDS.
Need to repair your truck or bus? Contact Middleton & Meads today! Middleton & Meads provides high-quality truck and bus repair, service, and fleet management for the Baltimore, MD area. We have over 90 years of experience in the trucking industry and will provide you with customer service like you have never experienced before! If you are interested in seeing how we can help your business, give us a call at (410) 752-5588 or visit us online today! For more articles and trucking tips, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, and LinkedIn.